Author(s): Barry Pickthall
Yachting: Start to Finish is a complete reference for every level of sailor, whether you are a beginner and need a straightforward, easy-to-understand guide or are taking your sailing to the next level and looking for the professional tips and tricks that will get you sailing faster, better, safer and having more fun.
Packed with 150 illustrations and 150 photographs, this is the way to learn, develop and refresh your skills. With its handy size and rugged covers it is the ideal book to keep on board or in your kit bag.
Packed with expert advice from the professionals at UKSA, it covers:
- Basic Principles
- Parts of the boat - exploded illustrations of a keelboat and components
- How a boat sails - sailing theory explained
- Points of sailing - sailing a keelboat at different angles to the wind
- Choosing a keelboat - types of boat and their suitability including catamarans
- Preparing to sail - safety afloat, practical clothing, launching small keelboats, rigging, reefing and roller furling
- Knots and ropes - practical illustrations for basic knots and splices
- Transporting - towing and launching, to crane-in and -out
- Sailing for the first time - balance, sail trim, mooring and anchoring
- Beaching rules of the road - avoiding other boats, rights of way and basic racing rules
- Understanding tides and currents
- Weather forecasting - how to spot telltale signs of change in wind and weather and reading a weather map, types of cloud, Sea breezes, Beaufort scale and sourcing weather information on the web.
Getting started. 1. Basic principles. Parts of the boat. The science of sailing. Points of sail. Choosing a yacht. Buying a yacht. Transporting and launching keelboats. The Rig. Knots, ropes and running rigging 2. Preparing to sail. What to wear. Essential equipment. Getting onboard from dinghy and dock. Rules of the road. Bending on sails, roller furling and reefing 3. First sail. Boat handling under power - mooring and anchoring. Balance, sail, trim. Tides and weather Basics of navigation. Radio etiquette 4. Safety at sea. File a plan. Radar reflectors. Man aloft. Fire. Man overboard. 5. Glossary of terms. Acknowledgements.
- : 9780470697528
- : UNKNOWN
- : UNKNOWN
- : 0.412
- : September 2009
- : 201mm X 162mm X 13mm
- : United Kingdom
- : books
- : Barry Pickthall
- : Paperback
- : 797.1256
- : 208
- : Illustrations